- Guide price
This is an activity book for language teachers unlike any you have ever seen. 52 asks the question: can one new teaching idea per week make a difference? The authors use radical texts, subversive images and lateral thinking to suggest new ways of doing things inside the classroom and to prompt teachers and learners to think differently about the world outside the classroom.
The book contains 52 activities that fit loosely into the following categories.
- Disruptions – ways of subtly disrupting the class dynamic to challenge existing power structures and explore alternatives
- Discussions – prompts and stimuli for conversations with a difference
- Images – subversive spoof ads from the media foundation Adbusters
- Language – activities critically exploring prejudice in language, slogans, social media and even English for protest signs
- Action – activities to prompt and empower your students to take action outside the classroom
- Scenarios – tired of the same old business English situations? Here we explore real-life functional language with a twist!
Download to see some activities for yourself:
52 also includes a small support website, called Subversive Teaching 52. At the website you can find extra ideas based around images, words and videos.
There is an important message here – we should not assume what is and is not suitable for our classes. Rather, we should include our students by opening up the discussion to them and finding out what they think should (not) feature in their lessons. Dave Dodgson http://www.davedodgson.com/2012/04/review-52.html
Overall the book is a very interesting book which pokes the box of some big issues and as the authors hope, it isn’t just about teaching English as a foreign languagebut raises questions of social policy, politics, consumerism, materialism, 9-5ism, charity, businesses and more. Chris Wilson, eltsquared http://eltsquared.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/initial-review-of-52-by-round.html
Customer reviews of 52 on Amazon:
I am happy to endorse this material as an excellent resource not only for classroom teachers of English in both EFL and ESL contexts around the world, but also as a source of refreshingly different and provocative warmers and discussion activities for trainee teachers. I strongly recommend this as amongst the best value for money publications I’ve ever had access to! Graeme Hodgson
Thought-provoking activities that promote lots of interesting discussions. “Not a book for everyone” though; however, if you are the kind of teacher who likes taking risks, challenging your students and being surprised with the results, the activities in the book are perfect. Malu Sciamarelli
- 52 is now available at Amazon in Kindle format.
- To read 52 you need a Kindle, PC, Mac, Android device or iPhone/iPad.
- If you want to read the book on a device other than a kindle then you can download a free Kindle reader here.